04/02/2020
E-Library - Information At Your Fingertips: Printer Friendly
OFFICE represented by OSCAR FLORES and all persons under their
instructions and acting for and in their behalves are hereby ordered to
stay and refrain from implementing Demolition Advice dated May 20,
2009, Demolition Order No. 33 series of 2005, Demolition Advice dated
July 20, 2009 and Demolition Order No. 69 series of 2002 within Seventy
Two (72) Hours upon receipt of this order on the residential
houses/structures of Alexander Ampaguey Sr., Julio Daluyen Sr.,
Concep[c]ion Padang and Carmen Panayo all located at Busol Water
Reservation, Baguio City.[21]
In NCIP Case No. 29-CAR-09, petitioner and the City Building and Architecture
Office, represented by Oscar Flores; Public Safety and Order Division, represented
by Gregorio Deligero; the Baguio Demolition Team, represented by Engr. Nazeta
Banez; and all persons under their instructions were ordered to refrain from
demolishing the residential structures of Magdalena Gumangan, Marion Pool,
Lourdes Hermogeno, Bernardo Simon, Joseph Legaspi, Joseph Basatan, Marcelino
Basatan, Josephine Legaspi and Lansigan Bawas located at Busol Water Reservation.
Subsequently, respondent issued two separate Orders[22] both dated July 31, 2009
in NCIP Case Nos. 29-CAR-09 and 31-CAR-09 extending the 72-hour temporary
restraining orders for another 17 days.
On August 14, 2009, respondent issued a Writ of Preliminary Injunction[23] in NCIP
Case No. 31-CAR-09, followed by a Writ of Preliminary Injunction[24] in NCIP Case
No. 29-CAR-09.
Hence, this petition asserting that the restraining orders and writs of preliminary
injunction were issued in willful disregard, disobedience, defiance and resistance of
this Court’s Decision in G.R. No. 180206 which dismissed the previous injunction
case. Petitioner contends that respondent’s act of enjoining the execution of the
demolition orders and demolition advices is tantamount to allowing forum shopping
since the implementation of the demolition orders over the structures in the Busol
Forest Reservation had already been adjudicated and affirmed by this Court.
In his Comment,[25] respondent claims that he issued the restraining orders and
writs of preliminary injunction in NCIP Case Nos. 31-CAR-09 and 29-CAR-09 because
his jurisdiction was called upon to protect and preserve the rights of the petitioners
(in the NCIP cases) who were undoubtedly members of the indigenous cultural
communities/indigenous peoples. He avers that his personal judgment and
assessment of the allegations of the parties in their pleadings, as supported by their
attachments, convinced him that the petitioners therein were entitled to such
restraining orders and writs of injunction.
Respondent maintains that the orders and writs he issued did not disregard the
earlier ruling of this Court in G.R. No. 180206. He points out that the Court has in
fact affirmed the power of the NCIP to issue temporary restraining orders and writs
of injunction without any prohibition against the issuance of said writs when the
main action is for injunction. He adds that he was aware of the said pronouncement
and had to rule on the matter so he extensively explained and laid out his legal basis
for issuing the assailed orders and writs.
elibrary.judiciary.gov.ph/thebookshelf/showdocsfriendly/1/56526
3/11