Concluding Observation (Participaton)UNCRPD's Concluding Observations on the initial report of the Philippines
- Concluding Observations
- (Political and Cultural) Participation
- Participation in political and public life (art. 29); Participation in cultural life, recreation, leisure and sport (art. 30)
- Rich Text
- The Committee is concerned about the lack of information about the participation of persons with disabilities at the local and national levels in conducting public affairs, and that persons with intellectual or psychosocial disabilities face barriers to exercise their right to vote.
- The Committee recommends that the State party repeal discriminatory provisions that prevent persons with intellectual or psychosocial disabilities from exercising their rights to vote and stand for elections. It also recommends that the State party take measures to facilitate electronic voting for all persons with disabilities regardless of the type of impairment. Participation in cultural life, recreation, leisure and sport (art. 30)
- The Committee is concerned that the State party has yet to ratify the Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled.
- The Committee encourages the State party to take all appropriate measures to ratify and implement the Marrakesh Treaty as soon as possible.
- The Committee is concerned about the policy of granting national funding only for the Paralympics and the Special Olympics to enable athletes to participate in competitions abroad, excluding persons with disabilities enrolled in other sports. It is also concerned about the lack of measures to promote the inclusion of persons with disabilities in cultural and recreational activities.
- The Committee recommends that the State party: (a) Allocate public funds for equal access and practise of sports by all persons with disabilities; (b) Adopt measures to ensure that all persons with disabilities participate in cultural life, recreation, leisure and sport; (c) Adopt a strategy and allocate resources at the national and local levels to develop inclusive facilities, programmes and activities for persons with disabilities, in areas such as theatre, dance and music, in partnership and close consultation with organizations of persons with disabilities.
- Philippine Observatory on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
0 connections, 0 entities